[AI] Amway Opportunity Foundation celebrates ‘White Cane Day’ in association with National Association of Blind
Rahul Gambhir
2014-10-16 21:42:14 UTC
Amway Opportunity Foundation celebrates ?White Cane Day? in
association with National Association of Blind

Oct 16, 2014
Mumbai : Reiterating its commitment to the holistic growth and
development of the visually challenged in India, Amway Opportunity
Foundation (AOF), the Corporate Social Amway 300x200 Amway Opportunity
Foundation celebrates ?White Cane Day? in association with National
Association of Blind Responsibility (CSR) arm of Amway India observed
White Cane Day with National Association of Blind (NAB) in Mumbai.
AOF presented white canes to beneficiaries of NAB. The key objective
of the event was to educate the public about the right technique in
guiding the visually challenged to cross the road and an appeal to all
the motorists and pedestrians to allow the visually challenged to
enjoy unhindered and safe mobility. It is for the 14th consecutive
year that AOF is celebrating White Cane Day at 14 locations across
India by gifting white canes to visually challenged people.

The event began with the distribution of the white canes, to the
visually challenged students by Dr.. B.K.Upadhyay, Joint Commissioner
of Police (Traffic), Mumbai & Mr. Jignesh Mehta, Regional Head
Corporate Communications & CSR Amway India ?West. Post the
distribution of white canes, the dignitaries joined students from NAB
for a road demonstration with a view to spread the awareness of the
White Cane Safety Day and educate about the different ways to assist
the visually challenged. The demonstrations took place throughout the
day at different locations of the city like at the traffic signals at
Abdul Gaffar Road-Worli Seaface, Mahalaxmi Station and Regal Cinema.

Present at the event were Mr. K. Ramakrishnan, Hon Secretary General,
NAB (I), Mr. Raman Shanker, Director NAB (I), Mr. Athalekar, Honorary
Secretary, NAB (I), Mr. Ashish Vaidya, Regional Manager Corporate
Affairs Amway India West, Amway staff and distributors.

On the occasion Sandeep Prakash, Regional Head, Amway India (west)
said ?The White Cane Day is an occasion to remind people to promote
courtesy and special consideration to people who are blind. This day
we celebrate the independence of people who are visually challenged
and their right to participate fully in the society.?

K.Ramakrishnan, Hon Secretary General, NAB (I) added with similar
sentiments ?We laud the achievements of persons with visual
impairments and the white cane as a symbol for blindness and a tool of
independence on occasion of the International White Cane Day.

Source: http://www.apnnews.com/2014/10/16/amway-opportunity-foundation-celebrates-white-cane-day-in-association-with-national-association-of-blind/