[AI] For this blind student, PhD is another feat
avinash shahi
2014-10-16 17:41:30 UTC
Dear Anjum
I'm glad to read this news which talks you and your PH.D many congratulations.
Wishing you a great teaching and researching career ahead
I'm copying this TOI piece to 'Sayeverything' and 'accesindia' for
others to read and inspire to pursue higher education in smaller
cities.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/coimbatore/For-this-blind-student-PhD-is-another-feat/articleshow/44808334.cms
COIMBATORE: When Anjum Khan received her PhD on Monday, it meant more
than it does to most doctoral candidates-the 27-year-old lost her
vision at the age of five after an attack of measles and has studied
entirely in Braille.

Anjum is an assistant professor of English at Avinashilingam
University. Her family moved from Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh to
Coimbatore in 1993 for her treatment but doctors said she would never
regain her vision.

"While my parents were thinking what next, the doctors told us about
Avinashilingam school for girls," says Anjum. She began learning
Braille and use audio technology to help her read, write and study.

Her father, Mehmood Khan got a job at a private cement company in
Madukkarai, 27km from Coimbatore. If Anjum had to continue her
studies, Avinashilingam was among the few options as it had facilities
and faculty to help her.

"I decided I would live in hostel and study. It is then that I
realised that to gain something, one has to sacrifice something,"
Anjum says. She lived in the hostel for 12 years from Class 6 till she
finished her postgraduate degree.

After finishing school, Anjum joined the Avinashilingam University for
Women to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. "She
finished her masters' degree and applied for her doctoral studies in
2009," says S Kalamani, Anjum's guide and an associate professor in
the department of English, Avinashilingam University. "Anjum had to
leave thehostel after her MA, but, regularly visited me every Friday
and told me how her research was progressing," she says.

Anjum's younger brother Abid Ali died in a road accident eight years
ago while she was doing her masters' degree. "My father had bought him
a bike to make his commute between college and home easier," says
Anjum.

"It was a difficult time for the family. But, I have faced so much
that I treat happiness and sorrow equally," she says. Anjum has
dedicated her PhD to her brother.

Anjum did her research on 'Ethnic Silhouettes: An Interpretation Of
The Community In Select Works Of M G Vassanji In The Light Of New
Historicism'. She became an assistant professor in January 2013 in the
university in which she studied.

Besides teaching at the university, Anjum also teaches blind children
Braille and computer operations. "I consider teaching a means to reach
people," she says.