[AI] Urgent help required with regard to linux:
Vidhya Y
2014-10-16 07:46:04 UTC
Hi All,
has any one used linux?
One of the companies in bangalore wants to give laptop to blind
students of 10th grade.
they have their own operating system which is based on Linux.
it works exactly like windows.
I wanted to know few things:
1. is linux accessible ?
2. is Orca the only free screen reader for Linux?
3. what other softwares are available for blind apart from screen
reader for linux?
4. can you give me feed back about orca's accessibility?
5. won't memorizing commands for linux and Orca be challenging?
6. are many blind people using linux? (any global statistics would be great)
I am suppose to give feedback by tomorrow so kindly reply as soon as possible.
I have not used linux much so any feed back on accessibility of linux
would be great.
thanks and regards,
Vidhya
Minar Singh
2014-10-16 08:35:50 UTC
Respected madam,
Yes i have used linux for very short time in 2012.
orka screen reader is the only screen reader for linux.
There is a mailing list for orka which i have subscribed since 3 years.
libreoffice is accessible with orka don't know much about other applications.
if a person has learning attitude nothing is dificult or impossible
for. one can remember short commands.
Thanks and regards.
Post by Vidhya Y
[...]
If any time you wish to be unsubscribed from our Mailing List, please send a
message to
sayeverything-request at sayeverything.org
with the subject unsubscribe keeping the message body blank.
visit the list home page at
http://sayeverything.org/mailman/listinfo/sayeverything_sayeverything.org
Website: http://www.sayeverything.org
--
Minar Singh www.kanchantrustcalcutta.org.
DONATE GENEROUSLY FOR A NOBLE WORK)
BangaloreINDIA
Bhavya shah
2014-10-16 13:32:25 UTC
In May this year I had attempted to switch to Linux as my primary OS,
but I was unsuccessful, because I didn't have enough time to dedicate
in learning a new OS. Also, after May, I no longer had tech savey
sighted assistance, so I couldn't reliably practise more of Linux.
For Linux, Orca is the primarily used screen reader, though some
primitive screen readers such as Suz and Linux screen reader are
available, or were once.
There is an Orca mailing list, to which I have remained subscribed
just in case I re-attempt switching to Linux in the future.
One word of caution, I have heard that very few Linux distros are
accessible, so you should consult Orca user (by their respective
mailing lists) and ask them about the accessibility of the distro you
are talking about.
sayeverything-request at sayeverything.org
with the subject unsubscribe keeping the message body blank.
visit the list home page at
http://sayeverything.org/mailman/listinfo/sayeverything_sayeverything.org
Website: http://www.sayeverything.org
--
Minar Singh www.kanchantrustcalcutta.org.
DONATE GENEROUSLY FOR A NOBLE WORK)
skype:dolly.sweet5
BangaloreINDIA
Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!
To unsubscribe send a message to
accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
with the subject unsubscribe.
visit the list home page at